Pub Date: July 2016
Specs: 7 x 9 Hard Cover with CD
Designed for the senior/graduate level course in thermodynamics or for use as a reference for practicing engineers, this book includes the theoretical underpinnings and derivations necessary for advanced study as well as numerous applications from industry. Modern software tools, such as EXCEL and MATLAB, are used to solve mathematically challenging problems. Starting with the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics, it shows how the principles of thermodynamics apply to engine and power plant design. Applications include combustion of traditional fossil-fuels, pollutants and their effects, and alternative energy technologies-- including fuel cells, solar power, and wind power.
- Includes a companion CD-ROM with files of images, figures, property data tables, and MATLAB codes
- Uses modern applications, e.g., alternative energy technologies to reinforce concepts
- Provides classical theoretical underpinnings and derivations
- Instructor’s resources available upon adoption
BRIEF TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Gas Power Cycles. 2. Thermodynamic Property Data. 3. Two-Phase (Steam) Power Cycles. 4. Equations of State. 5. Multi-Phase Mixtures. 6. Combustion. 7. Alternative Energy. 8. Additional Applications. 9. Statistical Thermodynamics. Appendices – A. Properties of Common Substances. B. Steam Tables. C. Property Tables for Ammonia, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Helium, and Air. D. MATLAB programs for property data. E. MATLAB codes for Cycle Simulations, Combustion and Chemical Reactions. F. Curve fit equations for property data. G. Combustion Properties for Common Fuels. H. Online Sources of Property Data. I. Conversion factors.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Scott Post received his PhD from Purdue University and has taught mechanical engineering at Michigan Technological University and Bradley University since 2001. He also worked at NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center . His research interests include computational fluid dynamics, high-speed photography, engines, alternative fuels, fuel sprays, turbulence, and aerodynamics.
SHORT DESCRIPTION OF BOOK
Designed for the senior/graduate level course in thermodynamics or for use as a reference for practicing engineers, this book includes the theoretical underpinnings and derivations necessary for advanced study as well as numerous applications from industry. A companion CD-ROM with figures and MATLAB files is included.