MyModernHealth FAQs Series
PUB DATE: August 2014
FORMAT: Paperback with DVD
TRIM SIZE: 6.00 x 9.00
SERIES: Science & Health
Diabetes is a chronic disease, affecting over 300 million people worldwide, in which there are high levels of sugar in the blood, often caused by too little insulin, resistance to insulin, or both. This book translates medical language into readable FAQs that can easily be understood by the lay person. It covers the classical type 1 and type 2 diabetes, diabetes of childhood, diabetes of pregnancy, modern insulin procedures, and suggested diets through practical examples, FAQs, videos, and illustrations.
Each title in the series will include:
- Questions and Answers about the medical definition/description of the condition; the source/causes; details of symptoms; available cure/treatment; and societal issues or public opinion such as legal issues, social/psychological ramifications, etc.
- Case studies from both the physician and patient perspectives
- Animations, figures, and photos to support, explain topics under discussion. In electronic versions these items are integrated as hyperlinks and “pop-ups” throughout the text
- Resources including Web sites, articles, blogs, and books that offer additional information on each subject
- Includes a companion DVD with animations, color figures from the book, Web links, animations, etc.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Dr. Nicola Cowap is an experienced doctor working in general practice and as a diabetes specialist. Dr. Cowap uses her perspective and experience as a GP to give the reader information in digestible form about the complexities of diabetes to enable them to ask the right questions, take control of their condition, and better maintain their health.
Dr. Nicola M. Parry is Chief of Comparative Pathology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and is an adjunct instructor at Tufts University. She is a freelance medical writer with a long track record in writing and reviewing of scientific documents.